domingo, 17 de maio de 2009

Fotos e protestos do povo Tâmil

Pin It

Além dos protestos anteriores, na Inglaterra, com milhares de Tâmeis nas ruas de Londres e na Noruega, com a invasão da embaixada do Sri Lanka no país - como mostrei aqui, aqui e aqui - continuamos a ver novos protestos pelo mundo agora que a LTTE anunciou que vai depor as armas. Agora o caminho está livre para o exército do Sri Lanka fazer o que bem entender com o povo Tâmil, sem testemunhas ou oposição.

Centenas de tâmeis, segundo a polícia, se concentraram neste domingo nas vias da estação central de Frankfurt, oeste da Alemanha, para protestar contra o assassinato do povo tâmil no conflito do Sri Lanka, e forçaram a suspensão do tráfego ferroviário por cerca de duas horas.

"Guerra sem testemunhas no Sri Lanka. Detenham o massacre dos tâmeis" foi um dos lemas defendidos pelos manifestantes, que, através de megafones, gritavam: "Queremos a paz. Queremos um Estado próprio" e "Alemanha, ajude-nos".

Hoje, os Tigres de Libertação da Pátria Tâmil (LTTE) anunciaram a interrupção unilateral dos choques perante o derramamento de sangue no norte do Sri Lanka.

O grupo pegou em armas em 1983 em uma guerra aberta contra o exército do Sri Lanka para conseguir um Estado tâmil, em um conflito que já deixou mais de 70 mil mortos.

Durante as duas horas em que o tráfego ficou interrompido na estação de Frankfurt, a companhia ferroviária alemã Deutsche Bahn iniciou um programa de emergência para desviar os trens de longa distância e cortaram temporariamente as linhas urbanas.

Desde ontem milhares de Tâmeis protestam em Toronto, no Canadá, com momentos de confronto direto com a polícia e muita violência:

Thousands of Tamil's protestors have been marching through the downtown core again -- disrupting traffic.

The protest started outside the U.S. Consulate on University Ave. but tensions boiled over early Friday evening when 2,000 demonstrators told police they wanted to head to Yonge and Dundas Square.

Toronto police told them no, but protestors, who were standing behind barricades began scuffling with officers.

Crowds managed to break through a barrier and finally made their way down Dundas St. leading to a sit-in at Yonge-Dundas square that shutdown traffic in the area.

Eventually the protest moved back to the U.S. Consulate.

Demonstrators are still calling on Canada and other western countries to condemn Sri Lanka's military action against Tamil forces.

The federal Liberals had promised to raise their concerns in the House of Commons.

But in response to a question by Liberal MP Bob Rae, Conservative Peter Kent urged the Tamil's to give up their fight and to release civilians he accuses them of using as human shields.

Meanwhile, the Sri Lanka military has reportedly surrounded Tamil rebels and taken control of the island's entire coastline -- cutting off any escape for leaders of the Tamil forces.

Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa has been saying the war will end this weekend.

Mais fotos e updates o site do National Post de Toronto, Canadá, é uma boa pedida.

Aqui é possível encontrar algumas fotos e aqui mais fotos e uma linha do tempo dos protestos em Toronto.


University Avenue remains shut, but Tamil protesters are elsewhere
Posted: May 11, 2009, 1:00 PM by Rob Roberts

By Katherine Laidlaw and Emily Senger, National Post

A small contingent of Tamils continued their protest today at Queen's Park and outside the Sri Lankan consulate at Yonge Street and St. Clair Avenue, and police have shut University Avenue again even though no protesters have gathered there.

After last night's blockade, where about 5,000 Tamil protesters faced off with police on the Gardiner Expressway, the small groups of Tamils continued demonstrating to draw attention to the civil war raging in their homeland of Sri Lanka.

Mayor David Miller expressed sympathy Monday with the protesters, but condemned their dangerous and disruptive tactics as “wrong.”

“The protest last night ending up the Gardiner Expressway was unacceptable,” he said. “The protesters were endangering themselves, they were endangering the public and they were endangering the Toronto Police.”

He stopped short of saying authorities need to take a tougher line with demonstrators, saying civil rights must be respected.

Protesters have stayed peaceful so far, according to Constable Tony Vella. He said the police service shut University ‘‘and is committed to working with those who wish to express their views in a peaceful and safe manner.’’ In front of the U.S. consulate, about 20 York Regional Police officers, many armed with billy clubs, stood in front of metal fencing this morning. One officer said Toronto police had asked for help this morning, although no protesters were there.

At Queen’s Park, about 120 people continued their protest by noon, chanting ‘‘no more genocide,’’ and ‘‘Sri Lanka stop killing.’’

Some wore signs reading, ‘‘Canada, let us speak!’’ Other waved the red and yellow Tamil Tiger flag.

By noon, about 20 United Steelworkers union members waving yellow flags walked up Queen’s Park Crescent and joined the protesters.

Ghormy Theva, a spokesperson for the protesters, said their numbers were expected to grow throughout the day, as people left work and made their way to the protest.

Ms. Theva said protesters had no formal plans to disrupt traffic on the Gardiner again.

‘‘What happened yesterday, it was spontaneous,’’ she said.

Senthan Nada, another protester, said people contacted family and friends after news of mass civilian deaths yesterday, aided by local community groups.

‘‘It was very spontaneous. The people gathered after hearing the very sad news,’’ he said. ‘‘People just came — they called their friends, they called their family.’’

Mr. Nada said he slept in his car after last night's action, and was back protesting at 6 a.m. at Queens Park.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff confirmed this afternoon ‘‘Liberal Party officials intervened’’ to try to end the Gardiner blockade, saying the protest ‘‘put the safety of the protesters and innocent bystanders -- including women and small children -- at risk.’’

But Mr. Ignatieff said no Liberal MPs or staff participated, and he reiterated ‘‘our unequivocal condemnation of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.’’